Friday 15 April 2011

Beautiful Women in Beauty: The 'Street's' Talkin'

Welcome to the second week of 'Beautiful Women in Beauty'. This week, freelance beauty writer and make up artist Ami Streets shares her story on how she got into the make up industry. You must check out some of her work on facebook, she is super talented!




What is your job title?
Make-up Artist / Beauty Writer

How long have you been in your job/industry?
I’ve been working in make-up for almost 5 years, and been writing for a year since graduating from a journalism course.

What were you doing before that?
Prior to working in make-up I worked in fashion retail and gained some experience in styling before becoming a fashion student and studying make-up.

Does your job require specific qualifications/training/experience?
I don’t necessarily believe that to be a good make-up artist you need to gain a qualification, in fact I found I gained more practical experience by working with customers through various make-up brands who also gave great in-house training. I think it helps to be artistic and creative – some people have a natural talent for this.

I enjoy learning and so wanted to do courses for that reason (and because some job roles and artist discount schemes require qualifications/proof of ability.) Last year I wanted to diversify my fashion education and did a Post Grad Fashion & Lifestyle Journalism course at LCF. As a short course it was brilliant to get straight into practical work, and building a portfolio – gaining contacts has also been very helpful as I often find who you know is really key in this industry.

Why did you decide to go into this particular job role/industry?
It sounds clichéd, but I’ve been obsessed with fashion and make-up ever since I can remember (I began wearing it in Junior School!) I love working in a fast-paced and creative environment. It’s a very sociable industry and always great to meet new people as you never know what opportunities might arise. More importantly I think it’s important to be passionate about what you do, it never feels like I’m actually, “at work” and I feel lucky to be able to do what I do for a living.

What do you do on a daily basis?
Social networking has become a big part of my daily work life, as it’s great for promotion and networking across all the creative industries. I try to update sites such as facebook several times a week as well as writing a beauty blog as much as I can.

I don’t really have a daily routine with work as it seems to change most weeks. As a freelancer I can be working on editorial shoots, projects, in the studio or with private clients – I enjoy varying my work as it keeps it interesting!

What advice would you give to someone wishing to get in your industry?
Always be open to learning and gaining inspiration from anyone and anywhere! I think networking and testing within a team is also essential – it allows you to meet great creatives and build up a strong portfolio.

Which are the key products you highly recommend?
Previously working with MAC (and using their products in my kit) I would definitely recommend; Blacktrack fluidline eyeliner – intense black gel liner that is great for inside the waterline/lining the eye, but also for creating a sexy smoky eye by blending and buffing into the lid.

Mineralize Skinfinish powder – great for skin of any age as it leaves a soft glow, sets your makeup and helps with shine without leaving a totally flat matte finish.

Pigments – intense coloured powders which are multi-purpose – very blendable and long lasting. Naked & Vanilla are great for an eyeshadow base/natural look and highlight colour.

Now some beauty questions, I love your make up. How long does it take you to put your make up on in the morning? And for the evening/night out/party?
I seem to have got my morning make-up routine down to ten minutes, and tend to go for mac face & body foundation with mineralize powder, a blush, and liquid liner. I love a bright lip colour to add some interest. For a night out if I’m experimenting with a new look it can take anything up to about an hour!

What is your most favourite must-have product/make up item? (only one…)
I’m obsessed with my black eyeliner as I wear it daily and couldn’t be without it! My favourite is M.A.C’s liquid last liner in Coal Black, as it applies really easily and stays on all day.

Lipstick or lip gloss?
Definitely lipstick! I seem to have collected most of M.A.C’s colours (favourites are Costa Chic and Myth) YSL also do some gorgeous colours that are long-lasting and moisturising.

Cream blush or powder blush?
Powder blush – my favourite is Orgasm by Nars (definitely a classic!) however, in Summer I think cream blush can give a pretty dewy effect that lasts.

High St make up or Beauty Hall brands?
I love shopping the Beauty Hall brands – the advertising and product collections are always more inspirational, and it’s always helpful to have informed staff who can help with anything you need.

Finally, what or who is your definition of beauty?
There are too many beautiful women to name just one, but I think the best beauty attribute someone can have is confidence – it makes all the difference to how people perceive you.

"Always be open to learning and gaining inspiration from anyone and anywhere! I think networking and testing within a team is also essential – it allows you to meet great creatives and build up a strong portfolio." Ami Streets
 
Thank you Ami!


Follow Ami's blog here.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...